Adjusting to the Cold

J’s Uncle Doug has been visiting (the same Uncle that was out in early October). We have enjoyed his good help and having an extra set of hands during this cold snap is awesome.

I am looking forward to… little brown pullet eggs. The hens are taking the cold well and I’m getting 4-6 white eggs a day.

This is a picture of an old hen from last summer.

This is a picture of an old hen from last summer.

I am learning… to readjust to winter. Monday we woke up to 2-3″ of snow. It’s been cold all week with highs in the single digits and active winds.

Around the house… the corn stove is on and Molly has taken residency in its warm heat. Yesterday, Doug and J fixed the broken handle on my stove. It seems like I should be getting some extra house jobs done or start a crafty project, but I seem to be keeping busy with chores and everyday tasks.

November 13

I am pondering… the weather. Some reports say we will have nice temperatures (upper 20-30’s) returning this weekend. I hope this is just a taste of winter and we still have some good weather before old man winter sets in for the long haul. We have been enjoying a fabulous fall and don’t have as many “fall jobs” crossed off the list as we would like. Our fingers are crossed for nice weather after this front moves out.

November 13

A favorite quote for today… We can do whatever we wish to do provided our wish is strong enough. What do you want most to do? That’s what I have to keep asking myself, in the face of difficulties. ~Katherine Mansfield

Do you have snow at your house? How cold is it?

11 Responses to Adjusting to the Cold

I didn’t look when I first got up, but it’s only 10 degrees now. The guys had trouble getting the tractor started yesterday. We haven’t had snow yet, but we may get 1-2″ this weekend. I’m not a fan of January temperatures in November. I’m thankful we got the final group of cattle moved on Monday before the front came through! Keep warm, Robyn!

2. This cold has been brutal. Lol! I don’t usually crack the Carhartts out until December but I’ve had to this week! We have so many chores to do still and we need a heater! I too am hoping for a warm up!

Jen,
      I have no date restrictions for wearing my snow pants. If it’s cold or I think I’m going to get cold on the 4-wheeler I bring them out. I wore them to pull bulls in August!

J decided to be nice and feed the running age cows hay yesterday. The girls appreciated it. Today we rolled out more hay and it took them a while before they meandered to eat it. I see J and Doug got the cake feeder put back on the pickup. With all the grass still available I’m guessing a little cake will be what they get tomorrow.

• We still have plenty of good grass – but if this cold keeps up, I foresee liquid feeders going out earlier than normal! I usually adjust well to the cold, but this year it’s been pretty darn tough for some reason. I think because it went from 65 to -10! lol.

3. Kerrie K says:

We have had close to 60 degrees the last few days but a cold front is on the way. This morning it was 32. I was thankful for the warmer weather because I got my butt kicked by a nasty cold. So now that I am climbing back SLOWLY of course, the colder weather will be somewhat easier to tolerate. This morning my metabolically challenged (FAT) pony was actually shivering. That was hard to believe since my horse is more of a drama queen and she was fine. There is a chance of some snow tomorrow but shouldn’t be more than a “possible inch”

Kerrie,
      Where are you from? I would take your 32*!
      Our animals really do add another dimension to our lives. The “personalities” and quirks they have are unique to each.
      Hope you feel better soon

4. Darcy says:

It was 14* here yesterday, but up to 22* this morning. No major wind (which is nice) but we’re supposed to get snow today. But all in all – we’re thankful that it’s not bitter cold, like in the midwest. Hang in there – it’s bound to unthaw a bit here soon. 🙂

Darcy,
      It was a sunny 10* with no wind today. As long as we kept working or moving it was nice out. Sounds like this has been a wide spread cold snap.

5. Cheri says:

Brrrrr….seems everyone is experiencing some type of frigid temps….
    It warmed up to 30 today…and overcast.
    Yesterday was 26 and beautiful blue skies. With the wind it felt like -4!
    We are suppose to warm up to 40 by next week…
    Love the baby calf picture. So sweet.
    Cheri

6. Bonnie says:

Oh my it is a heat wave there. It was -20 this morning. Yuck yuck yuck. Long johns, mittens, warm boots and overalls. Winter let fall fool us.

You don’t want to know the temp here! 😉 We seem to be just on the other side of this Polar Vortex. You guys stay warm!