Abandoned Farmstead ~ Barn and Garage

Last week I posted pictures of the house on this abandoned farmstead.  This week I am sharing the barn and what I am guessing was the garage.

This is a picture of the garage (left) and barn’s back side from a distance.  I am looking southeast.

The left picture is the front of the barn.  The tall part of the barn has small pens in it; just right for sheep  The two right hand sections, look like a chicken coop.  One part looks like an area for laying hens.  The end section looks like a place to raise chicks.

The barn’s back side is the right picture and one can get a good look inside.

To take the bottom picture I looked south through the back of the barn and through a window on the barn’s front side.

Can you see the old driveway?

This building looks like a garage or shop.  It has a lot of stuff in it.

When I looked through the crack between the doors I saw this sewing machine sitting on a counter top.  The first thing I thought about was my Great Grandma.  This looks like a machine that she would have sewn with.  I am not a seamstress, but would love to see this old machine cleaned up.  I bet it could tell many stories about clothes it mended, dresses it sewed or homemaking projects.

A family once lived here and raised kids, sheep and chickens.  Did the lady of the house have a milk cow?  Did she sell eggs, cream, butter or milk for extra money?  Maybe the chickens, eggs and milk cow provided enough to support their own family.

9 Responses to Abandoned Farmstead ~ Barn and Garage

Oh I LOVE this the one through the window is fantastic. I have seen many of those machines and they clean up and do not take to much to get working again.
    This is wonderful that you shared these.
    I am so sad about the family and I am sure the farmwife did everything you thought she did. It was a very hard life I am sure of that. We know a little about that life don’t we? Hugs B

2. LindaG says:

I always wish places like that could tell their stories.
    Wish my house could tell some, I know. :o)

Loved your post!

3. Carletta says:

Thanks for sharing more of this old homestead. So many questions beg to be answered. The land is really lovely and I want to believe the family had many wonderful times here along with the hard work.

4. Tanya says:

i love this, and wow, that old sewing machine! very cool!

5. beth says:

great views. neat! ( :

6. emily says:

It’s always interesting to see old farm / barn establishments and wonder what was there. When my husband and I went to the Black Hills a pre-kids, we went on a ghost town hunt. We got a ghost town map somewhere in Lead and spent an afternoon driving around finding these locations. Most of the time there would be an abandoned building, or something that would look like a barn or school house.

I’ll bet this was quite a nice place back in it’s day! 🙂
    How cool about the old sewing machine, it’s a shame it’s just sitting there though…

8. Sally in WA says:

Cool old sewing machine. Nice collection of photos, too.

9. MaryBeth says:

Nice shots. I have several pictures of old and abandoned places taken over Thanksgiving weekend when I was at the ranch with my daughter. They are both sad and beautiful. I posted one last Friday. I too wonder about the lives of the family who started with good ideas and somehow couldn’t make. Did you hear any stories from the building while you were taking pictures. MB