A Splash of Mud

I was a little worried about this week’s Nurture Photo Challenge prompts, splash and turquoise.  I like turquoise and have some pieces of jewelry and with the dry conditions splash was looking bleak.  Here is what I came up with for splash and Random 5 Friday …

1.  We survived the storm!  Between Friday night and Monday morning we had .85″ of rain.  We also go 2-3″ of snow Monday afternoon.  Monday and Tuesday night we brought the cows into lots close to the barn and checked them all night long.  There is nothing like a low front to make cows have babies.

When we went to tag calves last night you could just see the relief in the cow’s eyes.  They were so glad to have a day of sunshine with little wind.

2.  This is a picture of the dam in a pasture we take new pairs to.  As you can tell, it’s pretty much empty.  Even with the moisture we received the last few days it will not fill dams.  The moisture will help nourish the prairie and give the grass a start.  As the snow started to melt this afternoon I could see the first sights of green grass.

April 11

3.  After Friday night’s rain, a few of the cows made some splash in the mud.  Apparently, they miss the moisture too.

April 11

4.  I saw these guys on two different mornings.  I tried to get pictures of our resident geese.  My 4-wheeler made too much noise when I drove up to the dam and I missed the opportunity.  The duck in the upper right hand corner was brave enough to came back to the water.

April 11

5.  What does this Ranch Wife, who has been busy outside tending the livestock during a winter storm, do when the Husband says things are in control?  She heads in the house and starts cleaning!  My entryway was splashed with mud and I just couldn’t take it anymore.  When I start cleaning I might as well do it all and get it over with.  One less thing to worry about in this unpredictable adventure I call Ranch Wife Life!

13 Responses to A Splash of Mud

1. Patti Wilson says:

The muddy cows made me laugh. I can just see them rubbing their heads against a bank, they must have had a ball.

2. Sandra says:

Love those muddy cows 🙂

3. Pat says:

Great photos. I wandered in from Random 5 Friday and this post opens a window on a world very different from the one outside my door in New England. Thanks for sharing … 🙂 Pat

4. Beth says:

i hope you farm will make it through, ok. wow, that’s wild. your cows are too cute. all covered in mud. hope it is good for their coat & skin. ( :

5. Nancy says:

Oh the poor cattle! I would want to give them a bath. Lol!

6. a bit more than a splash right?

7. Gwen says:

Hope your weather will settle down for a bit now. Good luck de-mudding!

8. Teresa says:

Those cows are a mess! I’m sorry to hear you are still so dry. Our snows that melted while the ground was frozen did a great job of filling the farm ponds and rivers. We’re still about 8 1/2 inches down on rain, but we’re in much better shape now.

9. Tina Barbour says:

I love your photos, especially of the muddy cows. I hope the water situation improves. We’ve had several years of drought around here, too. It’s really hard on the farmers especially.

10. Karen says:

Oh my, I love those muddy cows! Your dams do look low (not that I’d know what then normally look like – but there just doesn’t seem to be a lot of water there) – I hope you get some rain soon. As a non- farmer, it’s so easy to forget how important weather can be. I hope you enjoy your weekend, Robyn.

11. Glad you survived all that crazy weather! The weather has been on a roller coaster ride this year!

12. alicia says:

Yeah, turquoise was tough. Hopefully green week will be easier! 😉 I love your pasture photo with the cows in the background. And those muddy faces made me laugh out loud. Thanks so much for sharing your photos and stories and linking to our Spring Challenge!