A Sherman County Barn

This barn is north-west of Mom and Dad’s place a few mile.  It looks to be in pretty good shape; I’m not sure if it’s still used or not.

It was a hot weekend.  The Rancher helped a neighbor harvest winter wheat and I did “skirt work.”  Friday afternoon/evening I got the house cleaned.  Saturday I got up early to bake buns and try a new bar recipe.  Sunday I got the books updated and the check book balanced.  I worked on laundry and took a nap with my little dog.

With the Rancher out of the house it seems like I get a lot done.  I didn’t push myself, but accomplished all I needed to and a little more.

When it’s hot out we let Roxie and Fritz in the entry.  Last week I came home from work and all three dogs were in the entry together … alone and together.  I opened the door and Molly was mad.  MAD!  She was barking and all the hair on her back was standing up.  It took several minutes before she calmed down.  I don’t know what the situation was, but it must have been dramatic.  I do know when the cow dogs are in the entry, and Molly in the house, I hear a lot of moaning and groaning.  Fritz makes all kinds of interesting noises.  Then there is the occasional bark from Roxie.  Sometimes, I wonder what she is dreaming.

Now for the really good news … RAIN!  Yesterday evening/night we got 2.10″ of much needed rain.  Nothing makes a Rancher smile like a good rain with no wind or ice!

13 Responses to A Sherman County Barn

1. Janis says:

I like the barns slanted roof. Sounds like you had a very productive weekend. I like those kinda of days! Happy to hear you all got much needed rain!

2. Beth - VA says:

great roof line. (:

3. Rose says:

This barn looks huge…and I do love the looks of it.

4. Tanya says:

haha “skirt work”….glad the dogs had a place to cool off and you got your rain! nice barn 🙂

5. Carmen says:

Sherman county? I grew up in Howard county and now live in Valley county! Small world!

6. I always tell Dustin to leave the house so I can get stuff done – much more productive that way. We got a few drops on Friday, but not nearly enough. We need like 7 days of solid rain around here.

7. I like your barn! And I’m really envious of the rain. Glad someone is getting it!

8. Amy says:

Glad you got rain, and I love the barn. Did you wear your skirt and high heels?

Hooray for the rain! 🙂
    Lovely old barn and I really like the edit in the first picture.
    It took me a minute on “skirt work,” I haven’t heard that in a loooong time!

10. Beth - VA says:

gorgeous clouds. beautiful. (:

11. Marie says:

That is such a beautiful barn…so glad it was part of your family life. Nice to hear about your farmlife days!

Thanks for stopping in Marie. Just a note, this barn belongs to a neighbor.

We had a huge old style red barn at home when I was little. One night there was a dry lightning storm and the barn burnt down. I think I was around 10. There were several local fire departments there. It was full of straw and had some grain in it and smoldered for days and days. It was a big loss to the homestead.