A Roller Coaster Ride

The past week has been a roller coaster of work, catching up, weather and cleaning up.

J was gone to his monthly FSA (Farm Service Agency) Board meeting on Monday morning. I got caught up on housework while he was gone and grilled fish from our Sunday catch.

In the afternoon we cleaned up and put away the rake and baler. J and I put loaders on the tractors and got them ready to haul hay.

July 18

Speaking of our fishing from a week ago Sunday, Kari thought we needed a picture. Kohl, Me, Brylee and Rosie smiled for Kari. Next time we will get Kari and Anson to join us!

July 18

Tuesday was a horrible windy day and J spent it mechanicing. After dinner I went to Small Town for an appointment, delivered eggs and got a few groceries.

The wind was just as strong on Wednesday. J went to the Big City and I spent a quiet day at home. Sometimes it’s nice to peck away at little tasks and have some down time.

July 18

J sent me south to start gathering bales on Thursday morning while he checked cattle. We met back at the house for dinner and spent the afternoon hauling hay.

Around 7 o’clock in the evening a front hit, wind, rain and hail. We were not home when the storm hit. When we got a quarter-mile from the house we soon realized that the eye of the storm was over our yard. Dark was closing in and we knew Friday would reveal just how damaging the hail was.

July 18

The houses suffered cosmetic damages, torn window screens, busted siding and one broken window. The calving barn sky lights have a few holes in them too. My garden was a total loss and the wild flowers on the west side of the house are not in good shape.

Friday J and I looked over the carnage, checked pastures and started cleaning up the yards. It took us over three hours to rake the yards, clean up the garden and haul off all the branches and leaves.

July 18

We are very blessed that the hail storm was a narrow band and minimally affected our pastures. The little bit of grass that got hit will pop out of the set back.

We have friends west of us that had tennis ball sized hail that did major damage to corn, wheat and pastures.

There was .40″ of rain in the gauge, but I think we got more than that. The water looks like it ran hard through the cattle lots and the prairie had standing water on the gumbo spots. So, we are not sure how much rain, but glad for the drink.

July 18

Saturday evening we had another shower come through. This time we got .24″ and a gorgeous post rain sky. The picture above and below were taken shortly before the sun went down on Saturday. The clouds and lighting were fabulous.

July 18

J and I had a week full of variety: a meeting, errands, appointments, mechanicing, hay hauling, yard cleaning, cattle checking and house work. We feel blessed that the hail damages we received are fixable, the cattle have grass to eat and we are safe.

Have you had any sever weather or hail at your ranch?

11 Responses to A Roller Coaster Ride

1. Alica says:

Oh wow, hail sure can make a mess! I’m sorry about your garden! Thankfully, though,it sounds like overall you were spared much worse. We are all so much at the mercy of the weather. I love that last picture of the beautiful clouds over the prairie! As for your question…we rarely have hail here…but last week we had a freak rain storm that was really strange. We had 3.4″ in about 2 hours, our neighbors on one side had 2″, the other side had 4″, and a mile away, they had 8″ and major flash flooding! The storm just parked overhead and dumped, and dumped, and dumped! I didn’t hear of any injured, just inconveniences as roads were flooded. We saw a video of our neighbors’ heifers swimming up to their necks in a raging stream that is normally 18″ deep, but they were ok.

Alicia,
      Hope things are getting back to normal after the flooding issue. That is a lot of rain in a short amount of time.

You are lucky that hail is not an issue in your parts. Around here it’s not if you get hail, it’s when and how bad. J’s folks and Grandma shake their head and say “we have been through so many hail storms.”

It’s currently (Wednesday mid-afternoon) 101* and humid. It’s been humid all day. We don’t have much humidity and when we do it’s simply sticky. I see a few clouds building.

2. Pamela Galindo says:

So glad that you didn’t have more damage from the weather front than you did. My husband and I left last Saturday from our home in Clovis, CA and traveled to the University of California at Berkeley, California to see our 16 year old grandson who is taking summer classes there. We had lunch with him and truly enjoyed being out of triple digit weather. From Berkeley, we traveled to Monterey, Pacific Grove and Seaside, California where we stayed for 3 nights. The weather was only 63 degrees. Oh, how we hated to go home last Tuesday. At home we quickly drove into 104-105 weather. My husband has noticed that a gray cat has taken up partial residence on our front patio….I think it’s because I keep a bowl of fresh, cool water there just in case some animal might need a drink….water is hard to locate around here. Robyn, your photos were so pretty …really gorgeous.

Hi Pam!
      Sounds like you had a nice trip. It’s always good to get away from home and see something different for a few days. I’m a homebody, but getting away helps me clear my mind and recharge.

My kittens are growing and out of the fuzzy pudgy stage. They drink a lot of water! I fill a gallon milk jug with fresh water and take it out to them every-other day. I told J maybe isn’t so odd there as there are 10 kittens 3 mothers and sometimes the black cat coming and going from the barn. The seem to eat a lot of cat food too.

I’m glad you enjoy my pictures! I appreciate your thoughtful words.

3. Great photos Robyn. We have had a dry, comfortable summer here. I do not miss Nebraska’s humidity. I much prefer the dry heat of Nevada. However, it has been a long time since we have seen rain, a little shower would be nice. Sorry to hear about the hail damage and your garden. That is always disappointing when that happens. ~ Lindsay

Lindsay,
      I agree with you on the hot humid Nebraska summers. J lived and worked in Sioux Falls for a few years after he graduated college, hot and humid there too.

I hope your area gets some needed moisture. After a short week in the upper 90’s-100*, our little bit of rain didn’t last long. Sounds like we will cool in to the upper 80’s by the weekend.

Oh no! I’m so sorry about the hail. I hope you’re able to get the repairs made quickly.

You’re right: That post-rain sky is absolutely gorgeous. How providential that it happened during the “golden hour,” too.

Kim,
      J spent a lot of time on the phone the day after the hail. Repairs are a works in progress.

I’m lucky I got up and noticed the clouds when I did. Yes, the combination of golden hour and clouds was amazing. The REA line runs east of our house and is often in the way! Mostly in the way for rainbow shots as they seem to be in the eastern sky. That’s ok, it makes me look around the yard for the more artistic shots.

I want to let you know, my kittens and Sweet Pea are doing good. They are healthy, growing and happy. That makes me smile! The wild kittens are looking good too.

5. Bonnie says:

Those cloud shots are amazing! We haven’t had hail, but went to an outdoor wedding that had hail for about 20 min. Poor bride and groom were devistated. But guess what? It cleared up and they had a wonderful wedding and will always joke it was a white wedding in July. Sometimes things just work out.

Bonnie,

Between the sever weather and fires it has been a dynamic summer in the Hills and on the prairie. I’m glad for those that can snag a rain without hail or damaging winds.

The day my cousin got married there was a terrible tornado that went through town and did a lot of damage. I didn’t make it to Nebraska for the wedding, but heard about it. Several years later, they are a happy couple with four adopted children. Some of the best memories are made when things don’t go as planned.

6. CountryMum says:

Sorry to hear about all your hail damage. Thankfully it was not as bad as it could have been.

Really love your final two photos! Just beautiful… perfect lighting.