A Little Bit of Green

I tried my best to come up with green for this week’s Nurture Photo Challenge.  Mother Nature has not been cooperative.  Cold, gray, cloudy, wind and sometimes snow fall is what greets me when I step outside.  I am still wearing long-johns and all my layers of winter chore clothes.   I did find a little green here and there.

1.  Even under the snow I can see the grass attempting to green up.  It’s easy to see green in the yard, but one must look close to see it out on the prairie.

2.  The grass hay we feed to the cows has plenty of green in it.  The calves like to lay on it while their Mamma’s eat.

April 18

3.  Yucca Plants or Soap Weeds remain green all year round.  I find them inspirational as they stand proud next to the blue sky and remain true to themselves in the cold snow.

April 18

4.  The Prickly Pear Cactus are green too.  It’s kind of hard to miss them hanging of a calf’s lip.  The cactus does not hurt the calf and they fall off in a short time.

April 185.  Mother Nature seems to have gotten April confused with February.

April 18

I keep talking about our “sprinter” weather as it consumes our life.  Taking care of livestock on warm sunny days is much different than the extra care they require on cold, windy, snowy days.  Tuesday night we got more snow.  It was an all nighter checking cows and caring for new babies.  Wednesday we had a break from the snow, but the cold kept The Rancher up during the night again.  The good thing is we are getting moisture and the white stuff won’t last long.  A little bit of sunshine between storms perks up cattle and human attitudes.

21 Responses to A Little Bit of Green

1. Sandra says:

The weather does make such a difference. Especially when you wait to have the babies in the warmer weather and the warmer weather doesn’t come!
    I always love to see your pictures. We have never really raised cows except the occasional steer (for meat) so it has been fun to learn all about raising them through your blog.
    I love the Mark Twain quote 🙂

Glad to hear you enjoy seeing a little slice of South Dakota Ranch life, Sandra. Thanks for the wonderful comment. Comments like these help to keep me going and maintain a good attitude.

Oh Robyn you found very cool green photos:)
    I am happy about all the moisture we are all happy to have a normal be it a little cooler spring around here, it is much different than last years warm but we paid for that dearly in hay quality and quantity something still affecting us here on our farm.
    Yes Spring is coming and summer will bring normal hay and crop harvest it is going to be wonderful. Keep warm and do not work to hard OK. Hugs B

3. Love your pic with the quote and how true is that? Didn’t realize prickly pear cactus grew in your parts and even tho you say it doesn’t hurt the cows, it sure looks painful to me.

Love that Mark Twain quote and isn’t it SO true! 🙂
    Hope you get more sunshine and a bit of a warm up soon!

5. Nina says:

Hi Robyn, Your quote ans Picture is just wonderful, nailing Down the weather this spring! ANd the green weeds remind me of a dessert landscape somehow … I hope that you’ll be surrounded by the green fields soon!

6. Nancy says:

Robyn — we had snow flurries and just plain snow all day yesterday. Today — the sun is out and the snow is gone. I hope you get some sunshine today.

Glad that you explained the prickly pear thingy doesn’t harm the calf. It’s looks ouchie. xo

7. Snap says:

Wonderful shots. Glad the spines from the cactus doesn’t hurt the calf. Looks uncomfortable. The Mark Twain quote is right on.

8. Bev says:

Love that thorn on the calf’s lip:)

9. Lisa S says:

Ouch! It still looks like that cactus should hurt 😉

10. Karen says:

I’d say you managed to fun some nice green images! That quote seems to be particularly true this year. I hope things start to warm up for you a little so you don’t need all those layers for a while. Have a nice weekend!

11. Robyn! Finally…I found you 🙂 For some reason, your comments from before weren’t linking back to you! LOVE, love, love the calves. Too cute. I couldn’t be a rancher as I’d get too attached. Hope the weather warms up a bit for you and the animals soon!

12. Beth says:

i was thinking the same thing – those things don’t hurt the poor cows. ouch!!! looks painful. ) :

13. Maggid says:

“Sprinter Weather” – that’s great!
    i think #44 is really cute.
    -g-

14. poor wee calves in the brutal cold when all they want to do is eat the sweet new buds of grass, right?!

15. your last shot is just gorgeous! AND i want to pet # 29 /so pretty!

16. alicia says:

I love how much effort you put into these challenges. Your yuccas are lovely and certainly fit the theme, but it is that last shot that stirs my soul. Wow! It needs to be framed!

Alicia,
      I enjoy the photo challenges you, Kristi, and Rebecca host. I am always up for your challenges!

Thank You so much for the compliment on my yucca plant shot. That means a lot to me.

Lilac or Flowers is going to be a tough one as it is cold, windy and snowy this morning … April 20!

17. Teresa says:

Love the pictures! I can’t imagine that little cactus not hurting the calf, but I also think the thistles would hurt the goats’ mouths. It does seem like we should quit hearing snow in the forecasts. Sadly, we have a chance of snow again tomorrow.