A Good Dose of Spring

I’ve been taking a few more pictures with my phone. I like the ease of it and the fact that Google+ syncs the pictures. I can edit them there too. I am thinking about Instagram, but have not made the time to look into it. Here are phone pictures I took during chores.

On Good Friday we worked yearlings. The replacement heifers got sorted off; gave them their pre-breeding and hoof rot shots and sent them to the Alley Pasture. The steers went through the chute too. We had a guy lined up to spay heifers on Saturday. He cancelled, so we put the steers and heifers to spay back together and called it a day.

April 24

J’s Sister and her family spent Easter weekend at the ranch. This place sure gets lively with a 2 year old running around. We had fun dyeing eggs, hunting candy and visiting. Our Nephew thought hunting eggs was nice, but ridding with Uncle J in the tractor or on the 4-wheeler was awesome!

April 24

After Monday morning chores J got equipment ready and sent his Dad to work ground. Tuesday the guys went over the ground a second time. J and I also got the drills ready to seed oats. Early Wednesday morning J got in the tractor and seeded oats; the crop was in by mid afternoon.

I have to admit, I have mixed emotions about farming. I am not mechanical, not at all. The thought of fixing something or doing mechanical stuff makes my brain shut down. I don’t understand how equipment works or how to fix it. On the other hand, I think it’s really neat to plant a seed, watch it grow and harvest a crop. Some days I appreciate the fact that farm equipment does not jump fences, break wires or have disposition issues.

I am really good at running the air hose to clean drills and scooping out extra seed and vacuuming the drills after planting. I am learning more about tools too. The Rancher says “go get me …” and he appreciates me coming back with the correct tool the first time.

April 24

Yesterday was the first day I saw true signs of spring. The lilac bushes in my yard have little buds on them and while gathering pairs I saw little yellow prairie flowers. The yards are greening up and my rhubarb is too.

The weather has been more spring like with temperatures in the 50’s and 60’s. The wind has been hit and miss. Sunshine and warmer temps has really lifted spirits around here.

April 24

Are you on Instagram? What are the signs of spring at your house?

9 Responses to A Good Dose of Spring

I’m not on Instagram. I guess I need a class to truly figure out how I can use my Twitter account. I now hear that SnapChat is the “thing,” so I keep thinking I need to check that out. I think there will always be “the next great thing.” I’m not sure I’ll ever be truly technologically savvy.

Kim,
      I tried the twitter thing and decided it’s not for me. I have heard people on SnapChat really like it, I have to say texting is good enough for me.

Between social media and new technology there will always be something. I enjoy blogging, blogs and texting, but find I there are times I “need to step away from the computer.” I have greatly decreased my Facebook usage and find I feel better. Facebook really eats up a lot of time that I can do something else more productive.

2. Lisa says:

Agree, the thought of anything mechanical makes my head hurt…but I think it’s one of my Dad’s favorite part of farming.

I also agree with Facebook…I don’t have it on my phone, but, now that the weather is nicer, I need to stop checking in with it so much.

We have had some nice rains yesterday/last night. Everything is getting so green.

Glad you had a nice Easter. Thanks for the card…it was such a wonderful surprise. Take care. xoxo

3. Darcy says:

Haha – I am TOTALLY with you on the whole “I don’t understand equipment” thing. Especially electrical work for me – I just don’t understand it, but my friend also says once you know how to do something, you’re expected to do it, so maybe it’s not all bad that I don’t understand mechanical stuff. (But I’ve never thought about it not tearing down fences, etc – so I like your point there!)

I have an account on Instagram, but don’t check it. Probably because I take most of my pictures with a camera vs. phone. But I do know a lot of people who really like it, because it filters out a lot of the so called “junk” that FB has on it.

Spring is here – my yard needs to be mowed (like, bad!) but haven’t found time. Luckily, you can’t see it from the road. 🙂 Have a great rest of the week!

4. I like Instagram. If you join let me know 🙂
    Nice photos!

5. Brenda says:

Signs of spring? Well it’s rainy and hailing one second, then it’s sunny and beautiful the next…plus all the weeds, grass, trees, and flowers are growing like CRAZY!!! I actually just wrote about spring on our farm…check it out:
    Happy Farming 🙂

6. Ahh, Spring…love it. I never have really embraced my i-phone as a camera. Many, many of my friends do it and are on instagram, but I am still loyal to my big girl camera. Thank you so much for the sweet Easter card…it was so nice of you to reach out with Easter blessings. Big hugs!!

7. Rancher Girl says:

Funny you posted this today. A Building We Shall Go’s post was about social media today too. I have recently joined instagram. I do like it but can’t seem to remember to post photos there. Also, I like taking photos with my “big” camera. I find they are much better shots.
    I do understand the “Get me …. tool”! Being the “go for” isn’t always the best job. You will get the hang of the tools soon. And the equipment! 😉

Oh you sound like you are doing very well my friend, you will be mechanical before you know it:) I know nothing about instagram:) have a nice weekend and getting the right tool is a skill in itself I still bring the wrong one lots of times Hug B