A Few Random Things

Nancy at A Rural Journal started a new linky party called Random 5 Friday.  I was a regular contributor to Nancy’s previous linky parties, A Rural Thursday and Your Sunday Best.

Here are 5 Random Facts about my week:

1.  A week ago Wednesday was my 32nd birthday.  Mom requested that I post a picture of the gift she and Dad gave me.  I still have no idea what to do with it.  Any suggestions?

March 14

2.  The Rancher was belated with my birthday gift.  I will admit, these beautiful flowers were a fun surprise!

March 14

3.  I finished re-reading 8 to Great: The Power Process for Positive Change by MK Mueller.  I highly recommend this book.  I started reading The Cider House Rules by John Irving.  It came highly recommended by my Mom.

4.  I said goodbye to my old tennis shoes.  I have been thinking about it for a week and after wearing  a different pair of tennis shoes my feet knew it was time.

March 14

5.  J and I spent yesterday in the Hills.  We did lots of running around, stocked up the pantry and invested in Smart Phones.  We had a great day.

Linking Up With:

Random 5 Friday with Nancy at A Rural Journal

Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop #100 with Deborah and Deborah Jean’s Dandelion House, Heidi of My Simple Country Living  and Dolly of Hibiscus House

22 Responses to A Few Random Things

1. Shelly says:

Hope you enjoy Cider House Rules, read it several years ago and have reread it at least once if not twice. After you read the book, might want to search for the movie, think there was a made for TV movie of it too. I prefer to read the books first!
    Happy Thursday!

I am a reader also, Shelly. I honestly don’t watch that much tv. I like Dallas and Grey’s, and watch a little tv at night when I am to tired to read or be on the internet.

2. emily says:

What an awesome birthday gift! Smart phones, huh? We’ve been contemplating it, but haven’t made the jump yet. Are you a fan?

Emily,

I have not forgotten about you! Between calving, good weather projects and stuff I haven’t sat down to write you.

J got a cheap phone and a 1 month prepay card just to see if it would work. He could bring up a few internet things and text. The main thing was it worked. We went to the store just to look yesterday. The phone plan we got into was too good not to take the jump. We each got smart phones.

So far we are happy. It feels kind of weird being connected like the rest of the world. I sent my first ever text today.

3. J. Rhoades says:

Ohh, that hide is beautiful! Hang it on the wall somewhere maybe? We just got our iphones last fall, and we love them to death – we have samsung galaxys before that (our first smart phones) and hated them but I think it was just because they were the first generation of galaxys and had tons of problems.

Jamie,
      We got the Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro. The rep said it would hold up to our outdoors lifestyle. We are careful, but accidents happen. So far things are working. The people at the store were awesome.

Getting a smart phone must be in the air. I got my first one last week. I was forced to change because the carrier wasn’t going to support my old phone anymore. I don’t know why I dragged my feet so long. I’m liking my I-phone, and I know I haven’t even scratched the surface yet in figuring out how it works. As for tennis shoes, I try to keep a variety around. Then, when I have to go in the cattle lot, I wear an old, yucky pair. I do my walking in shoes that are less “fragrant” and “colorful.” Enjoy your day, Robyn!

Kim,

Last Christmas J went hunting with a neighbor and he had reception and 4G in our yard. Until now we have had NO cell reception on the ranch. J got a cheap phone and 1 month prepay card just to see if it would work. There are very few spots we can’t talk.

J is kind of techy and has taken to texting. I am glad he has access to the weather and markets at his finger tips. I am sure I will enjoy being “connected” all the time too.

I need to sit down and play with my phone and learn more about it. My Mom has an iPhone and loves it.

I agree, it takes a few pair of shoes to make the day go round.

I have no idea either good luck 🙂
    Love the flowers and I am so happy you had a great birthday.
    32 gosh in a a week or so I will be a little less than twice your age:(
    That certainly puts things in prospective:) Hugs B

6. Maggid says:

Happy New Tennis Shoes – Happy Belated Birthday AND I am happy to meet you. Thank you for sharing your Friday Five!

-g-

7. Snap says:

Gorgeous hide. Happy Birthday! The flowers are lovely. I still don’t have a smart phone. I will probably the last person on earth to get one — just because nothing else will work! 😀 I wear my tennis shoes until they fall apart — then suddenly realize that my feet might feel better in a new pair. !!!! Have a great weekend.

Snap,

Thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment! I always enjoy hearing from my readers.

I think good manners are a must. It’s kind of refreshing in this day and age.
      Looks like you really scored on your giveaway win! Yay for you.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

8. beautiful flowers! Can you hang the hide…my first thought was use as a rug but I don’t know if that would work ? Smartphones: I got my iphone about a year ago mostly because it seemed the easiest to use and text with ( my kids don’t talk on the phone..one must text for the most part! : ) However, I use very little of its features : texting and taking pics is about it!

9. Nancy says:

That cowhide is so cool — I’d hang it on the wall. It’s a beauty.
    And belated happy birthday my friend — my son is your age! Lol.

Have a super weekend! Hope the weather is warming up for you all and thanks for joining in R5F. Much appreciated Robyn.

10. Beth says:

looks like it was time for a new pair of shoes. keep walking. hope you had fun birthday. keep celebrating. enjoy the weekend. ( :

11. Ahh, another March birthday girl altho you could easily be my daughter (my youngest daughter, I might add). If you have a BIG wall you could hang the gift, or can you use it as a rug?? I am sure it was given with much love. So you have entered the world of the smart phone…it is quite handy to have. I discover new advantages all the time. Happy Birthday Month!!

12. Karen says:

Happy Birthday – the flowers are beautiful! I’ll be interested to know how you like Cider House Rules. I haven’t read much John Irving – and that was years and years ago – but I have friends who love his books.

Karen,
      I am about a quarter through the book and I really like it. Every spare moment I am either reading or thinking about the story.

I am interested in reading more John Irving.

13. Cider House Rules is a wonderful book- I hope you enjoy it. Happy Belated Birthday!

14. Happy belated birthday wishes. Hugs