A Bit of Charm

It’s May.  Calving is winding down and we are branding calves on Monday.  Yesterday, the Rancher and I helped a neighbor brand.  I am in the process of cooking for Monday.

We can row the early seeded oats, as little green plants dot the ground.  The Rancher also has corn planting on his mind.  All good signs of spring!

May 5

This little baldy calf has a spotted face and was dotted with snow flakes on April 22nd.

May 5

Our South Dakota weather has been more spring like lately.  The top two pictures I took when J and I went to feed the bulls.  The lower right hand picture is a sunset from last week.  The clouds have been fun to observe.  There is something about big, puffy clouds against a bright blue sky that makes me smile.  They also make a pretty background for photos.

May 5

The hens are constantly in motion.  I will admit, they are easier to photograph than my wiggle worm of a Boston Terrier.

May 5

Speaking of my sweet Little Girl …  When the weather is nice, Molly likes to help me when I am working in the yard.

Last winter J got a 2 gallon waterer for the dogs to drink out of.  It looks like an office water cooler and makes glug glug sounds.  The glugs frighten Molly.  Every time I enter the house she makes a dash to the waterer to get a drink.  This is a source of entertainment for J and I.  We watch this happen everyday and it still makes us laugh.  I frequently remind Molly, “It’s tough to be a little dog.”

May 5

Life is in constant motion.  Our backgrounds are spotted with hard times, mistakes and bad luck.  It takes a lot of love, support and confidence to weather the storms of life.  It’s in the little things that we find charm.  Things like watching crops, flowers or gardens grow.  Seeing healthy livestock thrive.  Taking in the loveliness of a warm day with a brilliant blue sky and pretty clouds.  Stopping to watch the chickens or making sure it is safe for our four-legged friends to get a drink.  These are the pieces of our life that make us try harder to make our own good luck!

I will not be posting on Tuesday.  I will be back on Thursday with Random Five Friday and the Nurture Photo Challenge.  This week’s prompts are Pink or Home.

12 Responses to A Bit of Charm

1. Tamar says:

Great shots, as always! Love the pup picture – so adorable!

2. DrillerAA says:

Love the calf. Very nice photo set.

3. Patti G says:

That spotted calf is so cute!
    Enjoy your spring weather – ’bout time, isn’t it??

4. Bonnie says:

Great photos. I love the hills, but I miss the wide open skies. I hope branding goes smooth.

5. Susan says:

I’m sure ranch life is tough. I know it wouldn’t be for me-my Dad grew up a dairy farmer. I’ve heard lots of stories. Molly is a sweetie-my dog has lots of fears, I know that look. Beautiful skies, but the chickens are my faves (as long as I don’t have to smell them)

6. Sarah Cass says:

Wonderful captures. I love the calf in the snow…adorable.

7. I love seeing your side of life, your cows, chickens and ranch life. I know it must be a really “hard” life, but you always find joy in everything you do…well, I don’t know about everything, but alot!! Love the images!! Happy Week!!

8. abrianna says:

Pretty cloud shots and I liked the spotted calf shot too.

Great photos, love seeing the oats growing! That’s funny about Molly being afraid of the waterer! I’m glad ya’ll are finally getting some better weather. See ya’ later on this week! 🙂

10. Nicki says:

The spotted face calf is so cute – I would be hard-put to brand any of them (but understand it has to be done). Nice collection of weather shots as well.

11. Honey Mommy says:

Love the picture of the sunset, but all three pictures have awesome clouds. I also enjoyed your rows dotted with plants.

12. Teresa says:

These are all great. I don’t think I could brand the animals. I can’t even put a tag in their ears because I’m such a wimp. Love the clouds!