51 in 501 Followup

A year and a half ago I decided to do a 51 in 501 project.  September 13th was the deadline for this mission.

Out of 51 goals I accomplished 37 of them.  Half way through my project I knew there were 3 goals that would not workout.

I have learned a lot working through the 51 goals I set to accomplish in 501 days.

1.  J and I attended the social and family gatherings on my list.  We did not make it to Illinois or North Dakota to visit J’s siblings.  We did try to visit J’s Sister, but last fall’s fresh weaned calves had other plans for us.

2. A few of my thoughts required me to try something new.  I ate at three restaurants I had not been to, I ate sushi and made 7 foods that I had never cooked, baked or eaten before.  While we were in Las Vegas last winter, I honestly looked for oysters on the half shell to taste test.

3.  I planted a container garden last year and this spring.  I am enjoying my little garden project and thinking about improvements and expansion for next year.

September 23

4.  I completed four Pinterest craft projects (Easter Decor and Glittered Jars), printed and framed some of my photos and made a bulletin board to display pictures on.  I don’t consider myself crafty, but enjoy doing simple projects and am looking at a couple to do this fall.

5.  I re-read two motivational books and read a devotional book.

6.  I have gone through my entire house and donated unused and unwanted items.  I have also sorted through my closet and given clothes to family and friends.

7.  Life moves at a fast pace.  It amazes me that the days can literally fly by during busy times of the year.  Before we know it months have past since we saw or visited with so and so.  I did not join the Women In Ag (WIA) Committee last year.  I counted WIA as a girls weekend with Miss J and KJ.  In August Amy and I spent a day in Rapid City, but we never meshed schedules to have a girls day with K.  Between ranch life and family it takes a commitment to “get off the farm.”  The good thing about great friends is we all understand and we pick up the conversation pretty close to where we left off.  A phone call or text can easily make my day and keep me connected with the girls.

September 23

8.  I did several guest posts on different blogs and had my Mom and Sister do guest posts on my blog.  I also met Anne, The Feedyard Foodie!

9.  A friend and I participated in our small town’s Fun Run and Walk 5K.  Miss J, Miss K and I tried to climb Harney Peck last year after WIA.  We made it close to the starting point before the road was too icy and slick for us to continue.  Snow in early October is normal in the higher elevations of the Black Hills.

10.  I  made a point to learn more about my Amazon Kindle.  I continuously read photography blogs and tutorials, but still need to dedicate time to read my camera manual.

11.  I tried Twitter.  I am on Face Book and maintain this blog; that is a lot of screen time.  I was not able to keep up with the speed of twitter.

September 23

12.  I did not dedicate the time to sit down and complete a “Death File” or do a Will and Power of Attorney Finance and Health.  I have thought about my death file and think these are important documents to get on paper.  I try to keep a positive attitude and thinking about my death is not an easy thing to do.  At the very least, I should at give J my passwords.

I did update the three ring binder I keep of household appliances.  We can find manuals when we need them and have a record of house contents in case of a fire.

13.  I need and have been talking about getting a pair of dress shoes.  Yes, shoes to wear with a dress.  The only pair of heels I have are the ones I graduated from college in.  I also wore them under my wedding dress.  I have been talking about new dress shoes for about 7 years.  Apparently I am in no hurry.

There you have it a recap of the majority of my 51 in 501 Project.  I am not sure if I will do another one.  I started out accomplishing a goal or two a week. As time went on some of the ideas I had became less of a reality and I lost my enthusiasm.  I am a goal oriented person and enjoyed the process of coming up with 51 things to accomplish, challenging my self and trying a few new things.

Have you done a 51 in 501 or 101 in 1001 type project?  If so, how did it turn out?

Tuesday Muse with Nancy at A Rural Journal

Rurality #33 with Madge at The View From Right Here

26 Responses to 51 in 501 Followup

1. Kelly Kardos says:

Holy cow!!!! That is very ambitious! Good on you for accomplishing what you did! Very impressive. Enjoyed my visit this morning.

Some days I am more ambitious than others! I find it true that “a body in motion stays in motion.” Sometimes, I amaze myself with what I can get done in a day.

Thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment, Kelly!

2. Kristi says:

I, too, am goal-oriented, but I haven’t ever done a 51 in 501 project before. It’s an interesting thought. (I certainly like the idea better than “bucket list!”)

3. I had never heard of it before but the post was fun and interesting! 🙂 I had to smile about Twitter…as I haven’t even tried that. Enough time on the computer as it is! 🙂

4. abrianna says:

I had never heard of that project before.

Pretty floral shot.

5. Darcy says:

I am impressed! That is a lot of things that you got accomplished – good work! And as far as dress shoes….I wear nice cowboy boots with all of my dresses (I try to buy dresses that will work with boots) and my feet are always comfortable, and I think it looks nice too. 🙂

6. hula.la says:

OK, so, I have that same pair of dress shoes from the beginning of time! And, I bought a cutesy little floral number over the summer, but had no dress shoes to wear with it to visit a church while out of state. Yes, I wore my cowboy boots. And let me tell you, they made me feel very happy in my new floral print dress. So, perhaps give up on the dress shoes, and opt for a pair of boots;) or two pairs!

7. J. Rhoades says:

I had a 101 in 1001 list, but it needs to be redone and started over – thanks for the motivation! I need to catch up on some of mine, others I’ve done really well on. Also, don’t worry about the dress shoes, it’s much more fun to buy new boots! But seriously, this is what I have – black pumps, brown pumps, open toe black, and open toe brown. It covers everything I might need and I don’t even wear them hardly at all but I know I have them if I need them! There are more important things in life to worry about than dress shoes 🙂

Jamie,

It is a challenge to come up with 51 goals let alone 101. 2.5 years is a long time to work on a list too. I thought I would have better luck keeping my motivation 501 days.

I hope you catch up on your list and don’d feel bad about needing to adjust or modify a goal. I am still going to keep a few things on my mental to-do list.

My shoes are silver sandal like things with thick 3-inch heels. I do like them, the 3-inch heels don’t like me. Between my advancing age and poor coordination I want something different. By the list of heels you have I think we could get along really well. What size of shoe do you wear … lol!

8. What a wonderful project to embark upon. I think you did absolutely wonderful, kudos!!…and the shoes can wait. I hardly ever wear heels anymore, too high. A pair of flatter shoes look just as nice with a dress. I am going to investigate this project!! Thanks for sharing!!

9. Karen says:

Awesome! I haven’t tried anything like this and am pretty sure it would fail miserably. It seems like a lot to do – although I do try new things pretty often.

10. I don’t do a formal goal list like this — but do have “to-do” lists on the fridge and in a journal — so I don’t forget. 🙂

11. cheri says:

That is one way to get your goals met. Very impressive. I couldn’t do a goal sheet like that. Things change so quickly on the ranch!

12. Stephanie says:

This is an impressive list of accomplishments. I’m afraid I wouldn’t accomplish half as much.

Oh Miss Robyn you are braver than I. I would not have been able to stick to this I am more a fly by the seat of your pants and hold on tight kind of girl. I am so bad with goals. I am so impressed with the job you have done. Good for you. What are dress shoes?:) Hug B

14. Emily says:

Let me know if you need help finding dress shoes…maybe dress boots might be the right direction!

15. How awesome! You really accomplished a lot. I love that you tried cooking with new food and ate sushi! I like veggie sushi like avocado and cucumber rolls 🙂

16. Karen says:

Very impressive goals you DID achieve! This definitely gave me something to think about. What would my goals be??

17. I’m impressed that you got 37 done! Goals need to flow a bit and it ‘s good that you figured out what you really needed and what wouldn’t work for you. High heels are over rated!

18. Sharon says:

Good grief! You are amazing! I have not heard of 51 in 501. That is a lot of goals. You hit so many! And such a variety! Good for you! Sounds like an interesting way to get inspired to do and try new things. You are making your life rich!

19. Tanya says:

what a neat idea that is, the 51 in 501! you sure accomplished a lot!

20. Delightful post and lovely photography for Rurality ~
    carol ^_^

21. Teresa says:

That is quite the ambitious project! I’ve never done a specific goal-setting project, but I am very task driven. Love those little flowers!

22. Wonderful post Robyn… now that I’m retiring (on 10.10) I’ll be in dresses much more often… love wearing them! As to dress shoes, I purchased a black pair of flats a couple weeks ago to wear to church etc… as to de-cluttering, I’ve been doing that for some time… freeing isn’t it?? I’m so glad you came by to share on Rurality Blog Hop #33!