A year and a half ago I decided to do a 51 in 501 project. September 13th was the deadline for this mission.
Out of 51 goals I accomplished 37 of them. Half way through my project I knew there were 3 goals that would not workout.
I have learned a lot working through the 51 goals I set to accomplish in 501 days.
1. J and I attended the social and family gatherings on my list. We did not make it to Illinois or North Dakota to visit J’s siblings. We did try to visit J’s Sister, but last fall’s fresh weaned calves had other plans for us.
2. A few of my thoughts required me to try something new. I ate at three restaurants I had not been to, I ate sushi and made 7 foods that I had never cooked, baked or eaten before. While we were in Las Vegas last winter, I honestly looked for oysters on the half shell to taste test.
3. I planted a container garden last year and this spring. I am enjoying my little garden project and thinking about improvements and expansion for next year.
4. I completed four Pinterest craft projects (Easter Decor and Glittered Jars), printed and framed some of my photos and made a bulletin board to display pictures on. I don’t consider myself crafty, but enjoy doing simple projects and am looking at a couple to do this fall.
5. I re-read two motivational books and read a devotional book.
6. I have gone through my entire house and donated unused and unwanted items. I have also sorted through my closet and given clothes to family and friends.
7. Life moves at a fast pace. It amazes me that the days can literally fly by during busy times of the year. Before we know it months have past since we saw or visited with so and so. I did not join the Women In Ag (WIA) Committee last year. I counted WIA as a girls weekend with Miss J and KJ. In August Amy and I spent a day in Rapid City, but we never meshed schedules to have a girls day with K. Between ranch life and family it takes a commitment to “get off the farm.” The good thing about great friends is we all understand and we pick up the conversation pretty close to where we left off. A phone call or text can easily make my day and keep me connected with the girls.
9. A friend and I participated in our small town’s Fun Run and Walk 5K. Miss J, Miss K and I tried to climb Harney Peck last year after WIA. We made it close to the starting point before the road was too icy and slick for us to continue. Snow in early October is normal in the higher elevations of the Black Hills.
10. I made a point to learn more about my Amazon Kindle. I continuously read photography blogs and tutorials, but still need to dedicate time to read my camera manual.
11. I tried Twitter. I am on Face Book and maintain this blog; that is a lot of screen time. I was not able to keep up with the speed of twitter.
12. I did not dedicate the time to sit down and complete a “Death File” or do a Will and Power of Attorney Finance and Health. I have thought about my death file and think these are important documents to get on paper. I try to keep a positive attitude and thinking about my death is not an easy thing to do. At the very least, I should at give J my passwords.
I did update the three ring binder I keep of household appliances. We can find manuals when we need them and have a record of house contents in case of a fire.
13. I need and have been talking about getting a pair of dress shoes. Yes, shoes to wear with a dress. The only pair of heels I have are the ones I graduated from college in. I also wore them under my wedding dress. I have been talking about new dress shoes for about 7 years. Apparently I am in no hurry.
There you have it a recap of the majority of my 51 in 501 Project. I am not sure if I will do another one. I started out accomplishing a goal or two a week. As time went on some of the ideas I had became less of a reality and I lost my enthusiasm. I am a goal oriented person and enjoyed the process of coming up with 51 things to accomplish, challenging my self and trying a few new things.
Have you done a 51 in 501 or 101 in 1001 type project? If so, how did it turn out?